KAAL-TV in Rochester is seeking an Anchor - Morning News.
As an ABC6 News (KAAL-TV) employee, you're surrounded by opportunity while experiencing forward-thinking philosophy. You'll work among passionate, engaged professionals who work together to create the most entertaining content in Television and Digital platforms for our audience. Whether you're searching for a career On-Air, Behind-The-Scenes, or Marketing & Promotion, there's opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive within ABC6 News and Hubbard Broadcasting.
- Bachelors in Communication, Speech or related field with 2 years' experience as a news anchor; or a combination of education and experience to meet the requirements of the position.
- Quick and effective decision making, live ad-libbing and maintaining performance under extreme pressure.
- Highly developed public speaking and interpersonal skills along with exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Professional, consistent on-air appearance and ability to read Teleprompter.
- Advanced abilities in critical thinking.
- Broad knowledge of local, national and international affairs (e.g. political, economic, legislative and cultural).
- Comfortable yet professional presence on camera with the ability to improvise in a live on-camera setting.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Available to work on a flexible schedule.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and strict deadlines.
- Maintain appropriate and strict standards regarding wardrobe, hair, cosmetics and grooming.
We are an equal opportunity employer, including disability/vets.
Hubbard Broadcasting has been committed to representing the communities we serve since our founding nearly 100 years ago. The same holds true today. We know the best way to accomplish this is by recruiting and retaining top talent from diverse cultures, life experiences, and world views. With dignity and respect, we value YOU and everything that makes YOU uniquely YOU.
The position of Anchor is responsible for selecting stories for broadcast, researching, writing and gathering newscast content. This position is also responsible for presenting live on TV and radio unscripted and scripted news reports.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local, state and national current events.
- Collaborate with the news director to choose stories to broadcast considering audience preferences.
- Meet with the news director, reporters and other news anchors to be briefed on the day's news.
- Revise scripts and prepare to deliver them on-air.
- Organize the news to present the most interesting pieces first, ensure late-breaking news is added to newscasts.
- Introduce news correspondents reporting on scene and ask relevant questions.
- Interview guests and other members involved in particular stories engaging in commentary.
- Keep abreast of news developments by studying papers, attending events, and staying in contact with industry professionals.
- Write for station's website and maintain an active social media presence.
- Make daily promotional community appearance.
- Provide newsroom leadership and contribute to overall team effort.
- Comply with the moral code of the journalistic profession.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
When extending an offer, the company considers a variety of factors such as (but not limited to) the candidate's work experience, education/training & key skills as well as internal peer equity and other market and business considerations.
For information regarding our benefits, please copy the link below and paste in your browser:
For more details and to apply, click here.