WDIO-TV in Duluth is seeking an Assistant News Director.
WDIO-TV, News Channel 10/13 is the award-winning ABC network affiliate for Northeastern Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin. Part of Hubbard Broadcasting, WDIO-TV is committed to excellence in all that it does-broadcast news with hyper-local coverage, important public service that deals powerfully with today's issues, and now, more than ever, top-notch digital content, to reach our viewers and followers with information the way they want to receive it. When you work for WDIO-TV, you will find yourself among dedicated, passionate people who work hard every day to improve our product and our community. If you have the qualifications, and you are a person of talent and integrity, we invite you to apply!
- College degree in broadcast journalism or comparable experience.
- Minimum 4 years' experience working in a newsroom.
- Minimum of 2 years of producing experience.
- Must be articulate; possess excellent written and verbal communication skills; and ability to get along with and motivate a broad range of personalities.
- General knowledge of television production techniques.
- Ability to understand and support the station's overall objectives and philosophies.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, manage projects from start to finish, and meet deadlines without direct supervision.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritize, organize, and meet short deadlines.
- Ability to work evenings, early mornings and weekends.
- Quick and clear thinking required.
- Good listening skills.
- Work Environment: Works in a professional, collaborative team environment. Newsroom is often noisy and has many distractions. Pace changes quickly. Stress can be high. Works in confined space in a control room.
- Physical Requirements: Must have manual dexterity to operate a computer and other equipment. Communicate in English both verbally and in writing. Read, hear and speak clearly. Good vision to view video. Prepare and present information including business correspondence and proposals. May drive own vehicle for business. Think critically, analytically, and tactically and articulate information that may be complex in clear, concise manner to others. Quick and clear thinking required. Must be able to move quickly at times to respond to tight deadlines. Stress can be high. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. The Company will make reasonable accommodations to facilitate an incumbent's ability to perform the essential job functions.
Compensation and Benefits
Hubbard Broadcasting has been committed to representing the communities we serve since our founding nearly 100 years ago. The same holds true today. We know the best way to accomplish this is by recruiting and retaining top talent from diverse cultures, life experiences, and world views. With dignity and respect, we value YOU and everything that makes YOU uniquely YOU.
Helps direct and manage overall efforts of the news department.
- Implements and accomplishes goals set with and by the News Director.
- Works with News Director to plan short- and long-term strategies to address content, personnel, and equipment needs with the goal of improving quality and ratings. Manages the workflow of projects and addresses all challenges to keep both short term and long term projects moving ahead to completion while meeting all deadlines.
- Reviews newscast and stories on a regular basis. Provides feedback to staff. Offers suggestions and makes changes as necessary.
- Works effectively with a wide range of people. Collaborates with personnel in all station departments.
- Develops a strong News Department staff through training, evaluation, and daily contact with employees. Helps recruit, interview, and select new employees for the News Department.
- Identifies, analyzes, and trouble shoots problems or issues in the News Department.
- Is knowledgeable of local, national and world events. Has a handle on what is going on in the community. Looks for ways to include community relevant stories into news.
- Communicates to News Department staff on how objectives, goals, and action plans affect them.
- Demonstrates, maintains, and insists on professional, ethical behavior by News Department staff.
- Reports to work for regularly scheduled shifts; may work evenings, early mornings, and weekends as needed.
- Performs any other duties as requested by the News Director.
- Produce assigned newscasts by the following: A. Develops and executes story & show segments: Generates, researches, produces, organizes, writes, and edits compelling and creative content for stories and segments. Makes decisions about stories to be included, who should cover, how long they should be, the form of the story (i.e. voice over, live remote, reporter package, etc.) and in what order they should run. B. Makes sure all aspects of the newscast are complete before the newscast runs. Writes and rewrites stories as needed. Plans for contingencies. Has important aspects included such as necessary script times, graphic information, video lists, and key information. C. Manage on-air content: Writes intros, outros, story outlines, and show & segment promos; works with editor to find, generate and manage video; oversees the overall show content including accuracy.
- Ability to make managerial decisions when News Director is unavailable. Routinely exercises independent judgment and decision in carrying out job functions. Acts as point person and decision maker for shows.
We are an equal opportunity employer, including disability/vets.
For more details and to apply, click here.