Pioneer PBS invites applications for the position of Production and Communications Director. This position is responsible for managing the production and communications department. The Director will oversee all activities related to productions, external communications, graphic design and web management. A successful candidate will be responsible for finding innovative ways to reach audiences through broadcast and digital means. The Director will help to establish and follow station business protocols and archive to protect the assets and the trusted brand of the station.
Pioneer PBS is based in Granite Falls, Minnesota, and is located in our new 18,000 square foot state-of-the-art studio facility on six acres of land in the scenic Minnesota River Valley. As a full member of PBS and a community licensee, the station has been operated by the nonprofit West Central Minnesota Educational Television Company since it went on the air in 1966. With a staff of 25 and an operating budget of nearly $3 million, the station produces seven local series, specials and digital offerings. Our coverage area of 45 counties serves western Minnesota, northern Iowa and eastern South Dakota.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the production staff and outputs including Postcards, Prairie Sportsman, Prairie Yard & Garden, Your Legislators, Compass, specials and digital offerings.
- Oversee and Supervision of Communications Department Staff with respect to:
- Website Content Management (Via BENTO CMS)
- E-Newsletter Creation and Contact Database Management
- Social Media Content Creation/Management
- The creation of digital-first video content
- Graphic Design (Membership, Online, Productions, Logos and Other Projects)
- Online Video Portal Management, including YouTube, PBS Media Manager, Facebook
- Website Analytics (Weekly Reports to Management & Production Teams)
- Google Adwords “Search” Ad Management
- Manage external communications in collaboration with station leadership
- Supervise hiring of free-lance production workers on special projects as needed
- Participate in broader station management as part of Pioneer PBS Leadership team
- Execute formal or informal training programs for production and communications staff monthly and as needed
- Staying current with trends in production and communication.
- Working with engineering and production staff to determine equipment needs, ordering procedures, maintenance needs, and repair procedures.
- Develop and manage short-term and long-term production plans in coordination with other managers and production staff ensuring deadlines are met.
- Working cooperatively with representatives of all Pioneer departments to advance Pioneer’s mission
- Write press releases promoting local programs and station developments.
- Public Speaking and Public Relations on behalf of Pioneer PBS
- Maintain organization-wide adherence to Pioneer PBS brand guidelines
- Compliance with all Pioneer PBS policies, FCC Guidelines and State and Federal Laws
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & characteristics needed
- Integrity to develop and maintain strong, trusting working relationships with other Pioneer staff, free-lance workers, and production team members
- Leadership to embrace teamwork and collaboration
- Experience in Production and Communications
- Ability for independent thought, exceptional problem-solving skills, and the foresight to involve other leaders and management as needed to resolve problems early
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Can be relied on to have exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication, people, and organizational skills
- An even temperament, even when working under tight deadlines
- Dedication to the mission of Pioneer PBS
- Respect for colleagues and for the mission of public television
- Public relations skills to build and maintain relationships with the public
- The ability to learn quickly, especially with technology
- Be a self-starter, show initiative
- Able to collaborate with other staff on content creation
- Writing, research, and computer skills
- The ability to write appropriately for TV, the web and other distribution systems
Education and Experience Requirements
- Undergrad in Mass Communications, Journalism or the equivalent 7-10 years of related production and communications employment experience.
The Production and Communications Director position is full-time salaried position, with health and life benefits, 403(b) contribution, paid sick and vacation benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter, resume and references to Pioneer PBS, Human Resources, 1 Pioneer Drive, Granite Falls, MN 56241 or e-mail to email@example.com. Review to begin immediately.
Pioneer PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer