KSTP-TV in Minneapolis/St. Paul is seeking a Director/Technical Director.
KSTP 5 Eyewitness News is the award-winning ABC network affiliate for the Twin Cities. Part of Hubbard Broadcasting, KSTP-TV is a longtime market leader, and is committed to excellence in all that it does-broadcast news with hyper-local coverage, important public service that deals powerfully with today's issues, and now, more than ever, top-notch digital content, to reach our viewers and followers with information the way they want to receive it. When you work for KSTP, or our other local, independently operated station KSTC, Channel 45, you will find yourself among dedicated, passionate people who work hard every day to improve our product and our community. If you have the qualifications, and you are a person of talent and integrity, we invite you to apply!
- Previous experience directing live newscasts; 3 years directing/technical directing experience preferred
- Possesses knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control and operations of television systems. Ross Overdrive, Multi-ME switcher, video servers, graphic systems and DVE experience preferred.
- Some graphic design experience helpful.
- Ability to work effectively in a high intensity, live environment with a number of people.
- Proven leadership skills; prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Able to effectively multi-task with a variety of duties while running the show.
- Must be flexible and able to deal with unexpected show changes calmly.
- Able to make decisions and judgments quickly, often in a fast-paced, chaotic environment.
- Follows protocol well yet offers suggestions as required.
- Ability to work on short deadlines and in pressure situations.
- Ability to make effective decisions in emergency situations.
- Must be able to represent KSTP-TV and KSTC-TV in a professional manner.
- Ability to work alternate hours and schedules including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Physical requirements
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in English both verbally and in writing so that others will understand.
- Ability to read, listen and understand information and ideas presented in English through spoken and written words.
- Must be able to work in areas and conditions that can be noisy, has many distractions, and on occasion in extreme weather conditions (heat and cold).
- Must also be able to work quietly during live broadcasts and tapings.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate camera and studio equipment.
- Ability to move quickly in tight spaces through out the building and on location.
- Stands and sits for long periods of time.
- Excellent manual dexterity to manipulate computer keys and other controls in studios including cameras and control board as well as other office equipment.
- Ability to develop creative ways to solve a problem under strict timelines and in pressure situations.
- Ability to tell if something is wrong or to anticipate if something may go wrong.
- Ability to come up with a number of ideas and suggestions about a topic.
- Vision to distinguish between controls on board and scripts; ability to see and comprehend what is on computer and television monitors and make work related decisions based on what is seen.
- Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
Technically direct live television newscasts and programming
- Direct live and taped programming within format guidelines including newscasts, commercial production and station promotions. Operates board. Assumes responsibility of newscasts and other programs. Offers suggestions for improvement.
- Read, study and research scripts to determine how they should be directed.
- Confer and collaborate with managers, crew members, on air talent and producers to discuss and agree to details of production.
- Responsible for ensuring all aspects of the program are complete before the program begins. Plan details such as framing, composition, camera movement, sound, for each shot or scene. Solves problems at the source. Challenges others to improve.
- Along with producer, establish pace of newscasts and sequences of segments according to time requirements and accessibility. Ensures program runs smoothly during live broadcasts.
- Handles last minute and unexpected changes in a professional, poised manner during live broadcasts. Communicates calmly, quickly and clearly to all involved as needed.
- Maintains high knowledge of equipment. Notifies Operations Manager of equipment needs and problems. Ensures equipment is maintained.
- Keeps up to date with new technology by reading trade publications and attends local equipment demonstrations.
- Supervise and coordinate the day-to day work of news production staff. Includes training, communication of instructions, resolving conflicts, managing performance, investigating concerns. Works in concert with and makes recommendations to Operations Manager and Director of Operations on employee performance, disciplinary action, performance reviews and increases. Works with employees to bring performance to a higher level by communicating standards, offering assistance and advice, and discussing individual performance on a regular basis. Keeps lines of communication open at all levels.
- Work as a team player. Set a positive attitude and example. Foster a spirit of cooperation and helpfulness with news and other departments. Develop professional relationships with employees of other departments.
- Understands and can articulate station’s programming direction and philosophies
- Report to work on time and works established schedule/hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Complete other duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
When extending an offer, the company considers a variety of factors such as (but not limited to) the candidate's work experience, education/training & key skills as well as internal peer equity and other market and business considerations.
For information regarding our benefits, please copy the link below and paste in your browser:
We are an equal opportunity employer, including disability/vets.
Hubbard Broadcasting has been committed to representing the communities we serve since our founding over 100 years ago. The same holds true today. We know the best way to accomplish this is by recruiting and retaining top talent from diverse cultures, life experiences, and world views. With dignity and respect, we value YOU and everything that makes YOU uniquely YOU.
For more details and to apply, click here.