KAAL-TV in Rochester, MN is seeking a Multimedia Journalist.
As an ABC6 News (KAAL-TV) employee, you're surrounded by opportunity while experiencing forward-thinking philosophy. You'll work among passionate, engaged professionals who work together to create the most entertaining content in Television and Digital platforms for our audience. Whether you're searching for a career On-Air, Behind-The-Scenes, or Marketing & Promotion, there's opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive within ABC6 News and Hubbard Broadcasting.
- A college degree in journalism or communications is preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable about issues, newsmakers, and current events.
- Solid English writing and speaking skills are required.
- Must be able to shoot and edit stories.
- Must be able to present stories accurately, completely, and clearly, while under tight deadlines.
- Need to be able to communicate and work well with a variety of people in stressful situations.
- Solid live reporting skills.
- Ability to think critically and quickly.
- Must be able to read a Teleprompter, and watch recorded video and audio.
- Manual dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate computer keys, camera gear, and office equipment.
- Ability to move quickly from the newsroom to the studio, sit or stand for extended periods, and be able to report outside in a wide range of weather conditions. Ability to carry up to 50 pounds of equipment.
- The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
- Must have a valid driver's license & safe driving history as determined by the Company. Driving record will be checked.
- Available for a variety of schedules, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Please submit a demo reel link of your work, along with your resume and cover letter.
Compensation and Benefits
When extending an offer, the company considers a variety of factors such as (but not limited to) the candidate's work experience, education/training & key skills as well as internal peer equity and other market and business considerations.
For information regarding our benefits, please copy the link below and paste in your browser:
We are an equal opportunity employer, including disability/vets.
Hubbard Broadcasting has been committed to representing the communities we serve since our founding over 100 years ago. The same holds true today. We know the best way to accomplish this is by recruiting and retaining top talent from diverse cultures, life experiences, and world views. With dignity and respect, we value YOU and everything that makes YOU uniquely YOU.
This position is responsible for covering news stories for the television station. Duties include enterprising, reporting, shooting, editing, and writing news stories.
- Originate and develop stories for broadcast and digital. May receive story ideas from management. Research and gather content for story. Write clear, accurate, and interesting stories. Break down complicated and involved stories so that they are easy to understand. Ensure that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate, and impactful.
- Present live scripted and unscripted news reports; may present live stories from the scene of the news, the newsroom, and/or studio or may record stories for later broadcast.
- Travel to the scene of a news story to gather video and other information for broadcast.
- Write and post stories to website and other digital media platforms. Frequently update online stories.
- Shoot steady, sequenced video with good, clean audio for news, weather, and sports for daily newscasts, specials, and social media under tight deadlines and for multiple shows.
- Edit video satisfactorily for news stories such as vos, vo/sots, setups, and reporter pacs using different techniques and different editing machines under tight deadlines. Editing may be done at the station or remote location.
- Complete assignments according to established deadlines.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local and national current events.
- Make promotional and community appearances as required.
- Communicate frequently throughout the day and work collaboratively with others in the newsroom.
- Contribute to the overall team effort to provide the market with the best possible local television journalism.
- Work in a team environment cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of people. Build working relationships with co-workers, community members, and the general public. Act in a professional manner when representing the station.
- Maintain appropriate standards with regard to wardrobe, hair, cosmetics, and other areas of grooming.
- Attend editorial and strategic meetings. Contribute story ideas on a daily basis.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed, as assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed.
For more details and to apply, click here.