KSTP-TV in Minneapolis/St. Paul is seeking a Production Technician.
- Basic knowledge and experience with broadcast production equipment, techniques and language; can demonstrate proficiency in use of equipment, techniques and language.
- Familiarity with television control rooms, audio rooms, studios and news and non-news productions. Previous experience preferred.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Must be flexible and able to deal with unexpected changes calmly.
- Follows directions well.
- Ability to work alternate hours and schedules including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Physical requirements
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in English both verbally and in writing so that others will understand.
- Ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented in English through spoken and written words.
- Must be able to work in areas and conditions that can be noisy, has many distractions, and on occasion in extreme weather conditions (heat and cold).
- Must also be able to work quietly during live broadcasts and tapings.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate camera and studio equipment.
- Must be able to move quickly at times throughout the building and on location.
- Stands and sits for long periods of time.
- Pushes and pulls equipment on a regular basis.
- Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
- Must be able to lift, carry, climb a ladder, and move with up to 20 lbs.
The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
This position is responsible for studio production, audio and technical directing of live and pre-recorded television shows and promos.
- Operate television camera, teleprompter, and audio equipment at a satisfactory level and with confidence during live and taped shows.
- Respond to all cues given over headset and in person during shows. Must react quickly and efficiently to cues and other directions. Act as a critical communication link between director and talent. Reports any concerns.
- Take care of all aspects of studio maintenance, which includes cleaning, repair, set up, tear down and storage of studio and related items; routine inspection, monitoring performance and basic trouble shooting of equipment. Maintain studio lighting and other studio supplies. Follow proper protocol for notifying other personnel when items are needed or there are problems or failures. Studio Cleanliness includes Studio A, Studio C, Twin Cities Live studio, the production area and storage areas.
- On a daily basis provides assistance to and provides input about the show.
- Complete knowledge of the lighting systems in all studios
- Under the direction of the director, correctly/accurately switch all audio going through the audio booth. Work ahead to insure that all elements needed during your shift are ready to go.
- Control the quality of the audio going through the audio booth. Insure that all elements of the audio are at the proper level. Insure that the balance between microphones, music, and videotape sources are mixed and at a proper relationship with each other.
- Ready at the audio position during assigned shift to handle any audio needs, especially during times of breaking news.
- Help with coverage of special events and with the coverage of audio during vacations and other times when no audio operator is available.
- Insure that all paperwork is filled out properly. Accurately complete the logging of all musical elements to insure proper credits under the music license rules. Complete any logs, scripts or other paperwork that is required.
- Technical direct a creative and technically clean productions within format guidelines.
- Protect the integrity of the format.
- Make suggestions for improvement.
- Be responsible for all elements of a show. Set a positive attitude and example. Solve problems at the source. Challenge employees to improve. Respond appropriately to others.
- Assist with training or assistance to new staff members.
- Work as a team player. Set a positive attitude and example. Foster a spirit of cooperation and helpfulness with news and other departments. Develop professional relationships with employees of other departments.
- Have a high knowledge of operation of current equipment. Advise Director of Operations and Operations Manager on equipment needs or problems. Bring to the attention of engineering management any ideas that would improve the product we are putting on the air.
- Seek out ways to become more knowledgeable about new technologies in our business.
- Maintain current equipment. Communicate with the maintenance staff any technical problems with the equipment. Actively seek solutions to problems with station personnel, equipment and procedures.
- Reports to work on time and works established schedule/hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Complete other duties as assigned
For more details and to apply, click here.
KSTP-TV is an equal opportunity employer.